Sunday, November 25, 2012

Orange Hair. Help!

Clean Water Man:

I just moved into a new to me house and after three weeks, I noticed my hair is turning orange.  I color my hair blonde and I am really upset about this and my stylist says there is iron in my water at home.  What can I do?

I don't want to look like Ronald McDonald!

J. in Greenwich



J:

Luckily you live in Connecticut where I have my business and was able to come and test your water and yes, you have a significant amount of iron in your water (over five parts per million) and your water is also hard and acidic.  I installed a water treatment system which included a backwashing sediment filter to remove the heavy precipitated iron, a neutralizer to raise the pH, and a softener to polish off the remaining iron which is in the dissolved form.

Iron is an incredibly good stainer and it can stain your hair and the fixtures in your home at levels even below the EPA standard of 0.5 parts per million.  When the stylist has made your hair light colored it has been treated to accept color (blonde) and the unfortunate thing about the treatment is that it also makes any discoloration in your water stick much easier.  There are special shampoos and treatments to remove the iron and other discolorations, but the best solution is to just get the staining culprits out of the water.  Within two weeks of adding your new water filtering system almost all the iron should be gone, even the iron that built up on the inside of the plumbing and in the water heater and you should notice that your hair remains whatever color you choose.

MY WEBSITE

No comments: