Monday, November 26, 2012

Dull Hair. Is it really my water?

Dear Clean Water Man:

I spend a fortune on coloring my hair and within a few days after each trip to the salon, my hair color is already faded.  I have tried six different salons in the last two years and nobody seems to color my hair with a product that stays bright and fresh for more than a week.  My most recent stylist says I must have hard water.  How can that cause my hair to be dull and lifeless?  Is it really my water?

Jennifer in Easton, CT

Jennifer:

Thank you for letting me visit your home and test your water.  Yes, you do have hard water and it also has an elevated pH, which makes any hardness in the water even more sticky and able to coat surfaces.  Each of your hairs is a surface, a somewhat permeable surface, that grabs on to hard water minerals (calcium and magnesium).  The hardness builds up to become a coating that prevents the coloring from being seen in all of its glory.  I pointed out the glasses you have been washing in your dishwasher are coated with a white film which is made out of the same crud that is on each and every hair on your head.

After I install the water softener in your home, the hardness will be removed and there will no longer be a coating on your hair.  The color you choose will shine out for all the world to see instead of being covered and hidden by a layer of crud.

www.cleanwaterman.com

No comments: