Tuesday, May 6, 2008

An Injustice Done To Family Due To Well Contamination!

I am so angry about this issue that I need to tell you about it. I have been advising a family about water issues after the construction of a new home (a very large, multi million dollar home). This was an out of state consultation and I was brought in after the new well had been drilled on the property. This (the drilling of the new well) is where the injustice happened.



Although the property consists of 10 acres, the County Sanitarian insisted that the new well was drilled in one particular spot. The builder and homeowners asked if another spot would be OK since there were 10 acres to choose from, but the Sanitarian was obstinate and would not budge on his brilliant decision.



After the well was finished, the pump was installed, and the water line connected to the home, the Mrs. of the family was sure there was something wrong with the water. A water softener and back washing filter were added, and she still insisted there was something wrong. The Mr. couldn't really detect anything, but did not go with the "she's crazy" notion and called me in. I happen to be hypersensitive, especially with tastes and odors, so, although the water test showed it was fine, with no bacteria present, one sniff and swig told me there was definitely something wrong. The water smelled like urine. I figured a disgruntled contractor urinated in the well, so I decided to do a heavy chlorination of the well to knock out the smell and potential contamination.



This is where it got interesting. Upon inspection of the area around the well, I saw that it was drilled 30 feet from a manure pile, a 150 year old manure pile from cows and horses to be exact. I told the customers that the old pile of manure, that had been added to and subtracted from continuously for the last 150 years was the cause of the problem odor. I was so furious by what I saw that I almost went straight to the county office to have it out with the Sanitarian right then and there. I then was wiser, and figured this is my client's fight and not mine, and I didn't want to make a bad name for myself in the county in question.



I don't know what the outcome is at this point. I do know that this equation (wealthy homeowners screwed by government incompetence equals BIG LAWSUIT) will be part of the outcome.



The lesson from this is don't let anyone force you to drill a well in the wrong place, especially when you have 10 acres of land to choose from, even if the government is around and "here to help".

No comments: