Thursday, May 29, 2008

Home inspector screws up another water test!

Why is this such a difficult concept for home inspectors? Don't touch what you don't know about!!! A customer who is selling his home called worried when the building inspector's water test results showed problems with the water. These were the same problems that the customer had paid me several thousand dollars to fix. I could understand the customer's frustration with me, because when I spend money, I want to see results too.

I visited the home and tested the water, finding no problems. Checking the almost new water filtration equipment, I found no reason to suspect an intermittent problem. It was then that I called the home inspector and asked about his test procedure. He told me the first step was to by-pass the filters and proceeded to tell me the rest, but I cut him off and ended the conversation. I was confidently able to tell my customer that there was no problem with the filtration system, there was a problem with the home inspector.

Here is the deal. IF THE CURRENT HOME OWNER SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON A WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM, WHY WOULD YOU BY-PASS THAT SYSTEM AND THEN TEST THE WATER? TEST THE TREATED WATER TO MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM IS WORKING. Do building inspectors turn off the heat in the winter to see how cold the home gets? No, they check that the heating system is working. That is what they should do with water systems, test the treated water to make sure the treatment is working.

Selling a home? Watch the home inspector. See my next post to find out how a botched bacteria test made one home sale fall through.

Ted Mullen is a licensed water treatment expert in Connecticut. If you have questions about water issues, email him at tedmullen@hotmail.com

No comments: