Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Matchstick Men Are Real! I have worked with them.

Anyone see that movie with Nicholas Cage called Matchstick Men? I am a big fan of Mr. Cage, but the beginning of the movie made me wince because many people I have worked with in my industry (water treatment) sound like Roy and Frank. The opening scenes of the movie solidified my dislike for those in my industry who sell overpriced products to the unsuspecting public. I am embarrassed to admit that I know companies that routinely pay $600.00 wholesale for a softener and turn around and sell it for $3600.00 retail. Then they have the nerve to go back to the customer the next year for scheduled maintenance and charge $179.00 just to walk in the door (and that doesn't include materials).

I challenge retailers in water treatment to watch Matchstick Men and reconsider how customers are treated by many in our business. It is time to treat our customers with respect and stop trying to get all their money just because they want to fix a water problem.

No comments: