Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The best filter I could sell my new customer TODAY was NO FILTER at all.

Sometimes it is best not to rush into a decision on the correct water treatment for your home. I visited a new customer who has a hydrogen sulfide odor in his well water. Upon inspecting his water softener I found that the previous water treatment company did a disservice by not including any type of pre-filter. The water has 1 part per million of ferrous iron and 1/2 part per million of ferric iron as well as some sediment and hardness.

The first thing that needs correction is the lack of pre-filtration because the ferric iron is bleeding through the system and causing a little staining. But this can wait to see how the odor problem will be addressed, since my best method for treating hydrogen sulfide would take care of the sediment too.

So why didn't I sell this customer a system to deal with the odor that really bothers everyone in the house so much they would pay anything to fix it. Well, I wanted to determine part of the true nature of the problem first. The part of the problem I want to know about is whether the odor is a temporary or permanent problem. I hate selling a permanent system when the problem may only be temporary. So what I did is chlorinate the well. This will knock out the odor. If it knocks it permanently, then the only thing the customer needs is a cartridge filter. If the odor returns within a couple of weeks, I then know that the odor is persistent and will need a more elaborate system.

So if you call a water treatment expert and he decides that your water needs more testing or analysis before moving forward, he may really be an expert. Of course there are many situations when an expert can immediately determine what equipment you need, but try and read between the lines and see if the salesman is more interested in the sale or in you getting the correct equipment.

Ted Mullen, a licensed contractor, is President of Clean Water Man, Inc. in Danbury CT. If you have a water problem and would like another opinion, please email Ted at tedmullen@hotmail.com

No comments: