Thursday, September 11, 2008

Alternative water treatment technologies - KDF

Sometimes I think that some companies with great products just don't know how to explain them to people.

I have been using an exceptional product for many years that I don't believe has received the attention it deserves. The product is called KDF and I have used it for iron removal, odor elimination, lead removal, chlorine destruction, and hardness sequestering. It is a great product and I am aware of many other uses in water treatment that I don't have time to get into. Whenever I do a new installation, I always ask myself if I could use KDF in a way to solve the problem. Many times the answer is yes.

I especially like to use it in city water applications in conjunction with carbon to remove chlorine. One problem with carbon is that it can become a medium for bacteria growth after a period of usage. KDF not only extends the life of carbon, it also has bacteria static properties to help keep carbon free from bacteria for a longer period.

One problem with the product is the fact that the literature makes many claims about it which are not backed up with explanations. I have not found any of the claims to be untrue, but many in the water industry need to understand how something works before they will use it. It is particularly frustrating to have a 45 minute conversation with the technical staff at KDF just to get one answer to the many questions about how the product works. If KDF would publish more technical data for the water treatment industry they would increase sales in a huge way.

I recommend KDF, especially if your water treatment dealer has experience using it. It is a premium product, so expect it to cost more than other filtration medias. It will also out perform other filtration medias.

No comments: